Time to unsubscribe?

Peter Rauch anamaria at GRINNELL.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Apr 22 14:05:44 CDT 1998

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Petra Sierwald wrote:
> Please let me know if you intend to drown everybody in a flood of
> creationism discussions.  If yes, I want to unsubscribe from the list.

Maybe if I remind everyone that the origin of this thread was not
"creationism" nor even "evolution", but rather it was a request (by me)
for comments on the National Academy of Sciences report (sort of a
primer/guide) on how to teach _evolution_ (by natural selection) in the
kindergarten through 12th grades (K-12).

Any systematist who is concerned with biodiversity, with the health of
the systematics (scientific) enterprise, and with the role of evolution
in understanding how our bioworld works --any such subscriber to
Taxacom, was invited to read the report (available online, easy access)
and comment on the adequacy of the work done by NAS.

If you consider that an invitation to be drowned in a flood
of creationism discussions, you would be wrong. If others believe it was
an invitation to drown the list in such a flood, they'd be wrong too.

I have faith that most systematists are interested enough in evolution
and in the adequate representation of their work (that portion of it
that deals with evolution, for example) to our children, that they will
stick around and maybe even contribute their own comments on the NAS
report.
Peter