Hymenoptera On-Line Database

Norman F. Johnson nfj at IRIS.BIOSCI.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Tue Apr 28 16:48:06 CDT 1998

(cross-posted to ENTOMO-L, TAXACOM, PARAHYM)

Dear all,

We'd like to invite you to drop in and take a look at our new "Hymenoptera
On-Line Database" (http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.edu/hymenoptera). This
is the web access page to our "Mopsus Database", a relational database
system that stores information on specimens, classification, taxonomy,
biological associations, and images. The database is an outgrowth
of our "Pelecinus Project", the goal of which was to build the database
and software tools to manage and present all the data related to one taxon.

Hymenoptera On-Line offers information on:

  1. Classification
  2. Taxonomic literature
  3. Images
  4. On -the -fly distribution mapping
  5. Biological associations
  6. Access to external databases

For a quick look at the section of the database that has received most
of our attention for the past year, try beginning with the family Pelecinidae.
Other sections that are fairly well-populated with data on names and literature
are the Proctotrupoidea, Platygastroidea, and Ceraphronoidea.  To see how
the biological associations and external database functions work, try looking
at the genus Sparasion (Scelionidae) and follow it through. We have locality
data for a number of taxa, particularly in the Stephanidae, Monomachidae, and
the genus Acanthoscelio (again, a scelionid).

Obviously, the magnitude of this project exceeds the capabilities of
our group alone. We invite and earnestly desire your contributions and
assistance in building this community resource. Our own priorities at this
time are to:

  1. continue to gather and input names of valid taxa: at the moment
the database contains the names of 31,606 valid species; 4,142 valid genera;
and a total of 46,881 names at all levels.

  2. enter data from specimens as vouchers of distribution
and biological associations (host, prey, pollen, etc.):  we now have
19,739 specimens with data stored.

  3. gather systematic and biological data from the literature
(the database is designed to be able to handle both specimens and unvouchered
records such as observations, label data and literature records): there are
only 1,905 publications in so far.

  4. images: the web is a visual creature and images, sounds,
even movies can be included. This is a black hole begging for the input
of matter!

So, please, check out the site and send us feedback.  We welcome any
assistance in data gathering and all contributors are credited.

Norman F. Johnson           Johnson.2 at osu.edu
Associate Professor         Phone: 614-292-6595
Director, Ohio State Univ.  Fax: 614-292-7774
   Insect Collection