Hybrid Speciation

Athanasios at Athanasios at
Mon Apr 20 04:22:06 CDT 1998

>A major challenge, and one that I believe we are having with the Lake
>Victoria haplochromines, is that of adequately dealing with early stages
>of lineage splitting.  In the real world, this does not happen exactly the
>way that Croizat or Hennig seemed to have in mind.  Some landscapes
>shatter, rather than divide evenly, producing scores of vicariants that
>may alternately achieve the level of semispecies, then anastomose, back
>and forth, until some decisive event puts an end to the confusion.   I've
>been calling this "the webbing at the node."  Has anybody
>else out there been thinking about this?
>
>Les Kaufman
>Boston University Marine Program
>lesk at bio.bu.edu

What seems important to me, is the group you deal with. In marine algae,
particularly corallines and other calcified groups, there are many species
postulated to be living fossils. Many of these organisms have a sexual life
history and have apparently coexisted with 'related' species for million of
years. The fact that they are distinct today suggest that after all the way
that Hennig (& Croizat ?) had in mind may be true (for these groups at
least).