FW: Voodoo Plant

Fri Apr 24 06:01:52 CDT 1998

At 04:44 PM 04-23-98 -0700, Peter Rauch wrote:

>How about Sauromatum venosum (aka S. guttatum, Arum cornutum), Araceae
>Voodoo Lily... Sunset Western Garden Book says "Bloom has extremely
>strong, unpleasant odor for a brief time after opening."

Could also be Amorphophallus rivieri, another aroid, which is grown in a
similar fashion.

Thomas G. Lammers

Classification, Nomenclature, Phylogeny and Biogeography
of the Campanulaceae, s. lat.

Department of Botany
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA

e-mail:    tlammers at fmnh.org
office:          312-922-9410 ext. 317 (voice-mail)
home:     630-759-4280
fax:                312-427-2530
http:    www.fmnh.org/candr/academic_affairs/collection_report/cv_lammers.htm

Malapropism of the Day:

"Oh!  What kind of plant is it?"
"It's an 'Audrey Junior'!"
"Well, is that all?  I mean, doesn't it have a scientific name?"
"Yes, of course, but who could denounce it?"

              -- "Little Shop of Horrors" (1960)