sciurus/Eichhorn

Detlef Leipe leipe at CROCUS.NLM.NIH.GOV
Tue Apr 7 09:54:01 CDT 1998

I haven't brought my etymological dictionary to the states but
I have looked it up a couple of years ago and if I remember
correctly than this is derived from an old German adjective
'eik' which describes the quickness or suppleness of
movement and a noun 'horni' which has been a collective for
small mammals in old german (mostly carnivors like marder,
iltist and the like, I think).

So, Eichhorn/Eichhoernchen, translates to something like
the 'quick small mammal'. After 'eik' and  'horni' have been
lost from the German language, folk ethymology has shifted
the spelling of the word to make it similar to words that
still exist in German but it is neither named for the
oak tree nor for having a horn.

As I said, this is from memory. I would await corraboration
from somebody who acutally has a dictonary.

   Detlef