XML markup in botanical context

Una Smith una.smith at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 8 09:23:36 CDT 1998

I was not aware of a new XML standard;  can you provide a reference?

I have used LaTeX (a popular mark-up language) for years, and before
that I used GML and GML derivatives, usually for botanical subjects.
As far as I know, botanical subjects present no special problems.
What issues are you concerned about?

For what it's worth, Allen Press marks up the journals it publishes
(including American Journal of Botany) in SGML and is now offering
some of these journals online in PDF and HTML formats converted from
the source SGML files.  See http://www.allenpress.com/ for more info.

        Una Smith               Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
                                Yale University
        una.smith at yale.edu      New Haven, CT  06520-8106