Evolution versus Creationism Discussion

James H. Beach jhbeach at IBM.NET
Wed Apr 22 12:46:52 CDT 1998

Hi All:

I would like to put a cap on the inevitable debate that would otherwise now
ensue about evolution versus creationism.  Taxacom is not the best place
for this.  Thank you.

Jim Beach
Listowner of Taxacom

At 12:30 PM 4/22/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Invitation by Peter Rauch to comment on the new National Academy of Science
>publication
>on teaching evolution.
>
>My comment is that it reads as a garbelled complicated series of assertions
>and inferences. It would
>do nothing to convince me that evolution qualifies as a science. There is a
>heavy emphasis on
>indoctrination about particular theories of how evolution takes place (e.g.
>natural selection),
>and far less on evolution as a scientific methodology (compare with the
>emphasis on method
>in chemistry or physics).
>
>As far as I am able to discern, evolution is generally taught as a doctrine
>which focuses on the
>assertion that certain things are true, and as such, is a mirror image to
>the Creationists who apply
>the same strategy.
>
>I realize my view is a minority (perhaps of one), but it is there
>nonetheless. With the way
>evolution is taught, I'm hardly surprised that teachers stay away from it.
>I wouldn't blame
>them in the slightest.
>
>John Grehan

James H. Beach
National Biological Information Infrastructure
U.S. Geological Survey Biological Resources Division
Tel: (703) 319-1173, Fax: same as Telephone
E-mail:  jhbeach at ibm.net