merging Botany and Zoology Departments (fwd)

karstad - schueler bckcdb at ISTAR.CA
Mon Apr 27 10:33:15 CDT 1998

Sylvia Hope wrote:

> Biological science department mergers are certainly correlated with
> increasing focus on levels of organization
> rather than taxonomic groups in American
> universities.  But I think the changing focus is the cause and mergers
> are the result, not the other way around.
>
>           and:
>
> I think that the merging of biological disciplines has much to do with
> advanced development of evolutionary theory and increased perception
> of common interests among organismal biologists.  This is a good
> thing, but the integration of disciplines may go to far if it erodes
> opportunities for students to do basic field work and and careful
> functional/morphological studies, emphasizing metanalysis at the
> expense of original observation.

* and it may over-ride teaching about the immense range of taxa that
students must know about if they are to think plausibly about
evolutionary theory and diversity.

fred schueler.
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler.
Bishops Mills, Grenville Co, Ontario, on the Smiths Falls Limestone
Plain: 18TVE 446 687, 44* 52'N 75* 42'W   bckcdb at istar.ca
Natural History Exploration, Interpretation, Illustration, & Analysis