No subject

Mary Barkworth stipoid at CC.USU.EDU
Thu Jan 8 16:27:36 CST 1998

For the last several years, Dr. Kathleen Capels and I have been editors of
a Manual for Grasses of the Continental United States and Canada (yes, we
are working on a less cumbersome title).  The treatments have been
submitted by over 70 agrostologists, mostly, but not all, from North
America.  We anticipate having the synonymy ready for publication later
this year.  This raises the question of how many copies to publish and in
what format.  I would really appreciate some feedback from members of this
list and your colleagues.  *Please* reply directly to me, not to the list.
Answers can also be sent by mail.  Also, feel free to pass a copy of this
message to any one else that you think might be interested.

First.  Some background.   The manual will treat all grasses that have been
found growing without benefit of cultivation in the region stated, plus
several species that are grown for their ornamental or economic value, for
a total of 1350+ species.  The synonymy lists about 14,000 names.  The
citation of authorities conforms to recommendations of the Kew List
(Brummitt and Powell 1992) except that, if only one space is saved by the
abbreviation, the full name is given.  Books and journals are cited
according to Taxonomic Literature 2 or Botanico Periodicum Huntianum.  If
known (either from the contributor of a generic treatment or some other
source), the location of the holotype, lectotype, or neotype is stated.
Location of isotypes is not given.  At 8 point type face, 2 columns,
paragraphs reflecting homotypic names, it runs to 196  pages on 8.5x11 in
paper, plus another 133 pages, same font, same format, for the index.  It
will NOT be copyrighted (but we would appreciate credit being given).  It
represents a lot of work.

Funding so far has come from the USDA's Agricultural Research Service, Utah
Agricultural Experiment Station, and Utah State University.  Their goal,
and that of the editors, is to make the work available as reasonably as
possible, but it is necessary to pay a "printer" for the copies one orders,
whether or not they get sold.  And pay up front.  If we raise more than the
cost of production, the surplus will go towards the cost of publishing the
other portions on the Manual.  If we do not receive enough to cover the
costs, the university holds the faculty member (me) responsible.  So, I
would like help in deciding how many and in what format we should publish
the synonymy.

We shall make the full the synonymy available on the Internet in zip
format, for free.  That being the case, please let me know if you would be
interested in purchasing either of the following (this is not a commitment
on your part, but please do not say you would order a copy if it would take
a miracle to find the funds).

A) as a compact disk, same two files, but not zipped.  Cost? $5 plus
shipping and handling.
B) Printed copy, with a compact disk to be sent out to purchasers the
following year in which any errors drawn to our attention are corrected (we
are good, but not perfect).  Cost? $65, plus shipping and handling.

There is no need to send messages saying that you would not order a copy.
If no one indicates any interest in either A or B, we shall simple make the
zip files available and publish a few hard copies for the record.

Thank you.
Mary Barkworth, Intermountain Herbarium
Department of Biology, Utah State University,
Logan, Utah 84322-5305
Voice: 435-797-1584
FAX: 435-797-1575