luminescence

Regis Courtecuisse rcourtec at PHARE.UNIV-LILLE2.FR
Tue Sep 22 11:08:36 CDT 1998

Jan Bosselaers wrote:
> =

> Rodney S. Hanley wrote:
> >
> > Again speaking of luminescence,
> >
> > Robin Scribailo's description of luminescent tree roots made me think=
 of
> > the "Jack-O-Lantern" mushroom (Omphalotus illudens) found throughout
> > most of eastern US.  This fungus often grows in enormous clusters at =
the
> > base of stumps and on buried roots (often common in gardens and lawns=
)
> > of oaks and other deciduous trees.  When the fungus is fresh (typical=
ly
> > in the fall), the gills glow a bright greenish-yellow.  Pretty cool a=
nd
> > somewhat ominous when you stumbled upon a clump in dark forest.
> >
> =

> In Europe we have Armillaria mellea which frequently parasitises on tre=
> trunks. The mushrooms themselves are not luminescent, but the mycelium
> in the wood is. As Wakefield and Dennis write in "Common British Fungi"=

> (p. 124): "Another interesting feature of this fungus is that the
> mycelium when actively growing is luminous"
> I saw this myself long ago at night in a wood, and it is ominous
> indeed.  I know that Armillaria caligata occurs in Eastern North
> America. Maybe this fungus has similar properties.
> =

> Cheers,
> =

> Jan

        Dear all,

        I aggree with the suggestions related to Armillaria as the responsible
organism for the observed luminescence.

        Only a supplementary detail concerning the possibility of involving
'Armillaria' caligata. It is not possible, since this species is not an
Armillaria in the sense of the Armillaria mellea group. It is a veiled
species of the genus Tricholoma (all the veiled, white-spored agaricoid
species have once been called 'Armillaria' in the wide original
meaning), which, as far as I know, is not involved in luminescence
phenomenon.

        Best regards and cheers !

        R=E9gis
-- =

R=E9gis Courtecuisse
D=E9partement de Botanique
Facult=E9 des Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Biologiques
B.P. 83. ; F-59006 Lille Cedex (France)
T=E9l. : (33).03.20.96.40.40
Fax. : (33).03.20.95.90.09
e-mail : Regis.Courtecuisse at phare.univ-lille2.fr