Fossils of Gobiidae

John Bruner jbruner at GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA
Fri Sep 11 16:10:46 CDT 1998

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Gianluca Polgar wrote:
> Dear Taxacomers,
> I'm strongly interested in any publication or other bibliographic work
> regarding fossils of the fish family Gobiidae. (Teleostei: Perciformes).
> I'd also like to know since what geological period the family is recognized
> and in what places the fossil records have been found.
> I'm working on evolution, sistematics and ecology of the genus
> Periophthalmus (Gobiidae: Oxudercinae) (Murdy, 1989).
> You may reply either on the mail list or e-mailing to me directly.
> Thank you for any kind of contribution.
> Gianluca Polgar, c/o prof L. Bullini
> Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare
> Via Lancisi, 29
Dear Gianluca Polgar:

        The following comes from C. Patterson's publication:

Patterson, C.  1993.  Chapter 36.  Osteichthyes: Teleostei.  pp. 621-656.
{IN}: Benton, M. J.  The Fossil Record 2.Chapman & Hall, London, England,
U.K. 1-145.

P. 648:

FAMILY GOBIIDAE, Bonaparte, 1832
Tertiary (?Lutetian, Late Lower Eocene/Priabonien, Late Upper, Eocene) -
Recent.  Marine/Freshwater

        "First: '{Gobius}' {microcephalus} Agassiz, 1839, Monte Bolca,
Verona, Italy, dobtfully a gobiid or even a gobioid.  One gobiid otolith is
reported by Nolf and Bajpai (in press) from the Harudi Formation (Lutetian),
katchchh, India, and two gobiid otoliths from the Naggulan Formation (BRT),
Java.  The first reliably identified skeletal gobiids are RB:
{Pomatoschistus} (?) cf. {bleicheri} (Sauvage, 1883), Fishbourne member of
Headon Hill Formation, Isle of Wight, England, UK (Gaudant and Quayle,
1988); also PRBis O '{Gobiidarum}' sp. Steurbaut, 1984, Sables d'Yrieu,
Landes, France.  Extant"  [END OF PATTERSON QUOTE]

There are three recent publications on fossil gobies you may wish to
consult:

1.)
Gaudant, Jean.  1995.  novelles additions a l'ichthyofauna messinienne de la
Sierra de columbares (Province de Murcia, Espagne) C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris,
t. 320, serie II a:439-446.
        {Gobius} cf. {brivesi} Arambourg from the Messinian of Oran,
        Algeria.
2.)
Gaudant, Jean, and Vatsev, Milorad.  1997.  Nouvelles decouvertes
paleo-ichthyologiques dans l'Oligo-Miocene lacustre du sud-Ouest de la
Bulgarie.  C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, t. 324, serie IIa:855-862.
        {Gobius} nov. sp. from Belica, Greece.  Lower Oligocene

3.)
Gaudant, Jean, and Busquets, Pere.  1996.  Una ictiofauna de la formacion de
Vallfogona - Unidad del Cadi (Eoceno marino del dominio Prepirenaico
Catalan)  Batalleria  Vol. 6:5-18.
        {Gobius}? {praecursor} Gaudant and Busquets, 1996
        oldest known Gobiid

        John
*   Mr. John Clay Bruner                                     *
*   Department of Biological Sciences                        *
*   University of Alberta                                    *
*   FAX: (403) 492-9234         \>      \>        \====      *
*   EMAIL: jbruner at gpu.srv.UAlberta.CA                       *
*   HOME PAGE:http://www.ualberta.ca/~jbruner/               *