Electronic Access to collection databases / ITF

Ken Walker kwalker at MOV.VIC.GOV.AU
Sat Sep 26 07:41:46 CDT 1998

Collection Management Databases to HTML

We too have been experimenting with internet access to our specimen
databases, in particular for a state wide school interface project with
access to our butterfly, snake and frog data sets.  Therefore, for public
access, value adding to the data was done through the addition of a
virtual species record.  This new record contains such information as
common name (at ranks order, family and species), host plant or symbiotic
relationships, venom toxicity etc.

The query is made on the database and the answers are returned through a
html filter to create either classification outputs, checklists,
distribution maps with GIS overlays, species / area matrix, graphs, images
etc.  The results demonstrate the value of large museum collections that
allow spatial and time based queries.

If anyone is interested in testing the "First Go" Version, have a look at:

http://pioneer.mov.vic.gov.au/chaec/butter/home.html

Ken

Dr Ken Walker                           kwalker at mov.vic.gov.au
Museum Victoria
Conservation and Environment
71 Victoria Crescent                    telephone 61-3 9284 0201
Abbotsford  Victoria                    fax       61-3 9416 0475
Australia  3067