[Re:] -i or -ii? (ICZN)

Thomas Schlemmermeyer termites at USP.BR
Tue Sep 29 21:03:49 CDT 1998

 Hello,

 Very interesting and hot discussion point !!!!!!

 Could you please consider in your answers also the following
 symmetrical case:

 Some hypothetical name-donator has the name Tschud, then the species'
 name should be "tschudi", but, in fact, it is "tchudii".

 is this OK, or do I have to take action ?
 (if so, I immediately will, as this case exists)

On (    Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:41:57 +0100), "W.Wuster" <w.wuster at BANGOR.AC.UK>
wrote:

>Just a quick question:
>
>If an animal is named after a gentleman with a name ending in -i (e.g.,
>Tschudi), then the complete species name presumably should end in -ii
>(i.e., tschudii). Would a name failing to conform to this require
>emendation, or does this fall within the remit of Article 33(d), and
>require no action?
>
>Thanks for any responses.
>
>--
>Wolfgang W|ster
>School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, UK
>e-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk   WWW: http://sbsweb.bangor.ac.uk/

Thomas Schlemmermeyer
Museu de Zoologia, Universidade de Sco Paulo
Caixa Postal 42694
CEP 04299-970
Sco Paulo, SP, Brasil