Standardized name list

Clifford Wetmore Clifford.M.Wetmore-1 at TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Sep 2 13:24:27 CDT 1998

Taxacomers,
   There are several serious problems with having one standard list of names
that must be used.
   1. Who will make the list? Not all taxonomists agree on many taxa. Will
the list be only the latest publication? Not everything published is correct.
   2. How often will the list be updated? 1, 2, 5, 10 years? In plants there
is lots of activity and lists a few months old are out of date. This means
many hours of someone's time to change the standard list - money that would
be better spent on research.
   3. Even though only a few agencies now want this list, when it comes out
others will start using it. They will say "Unless you use the standard list
your report will not be accepted and you will not be paid". I strongly
object to following taxonomy that I don't agree with.
   4. We don't need another huge bureacracy compounding our workload. If
some agencies want such a list, let them create an internal one. Computer
conversion of name is easy.
     Unless there is a strong outcry against this standardized list it will
certainly be forced upon us according to the information I have from
Washington. In theory one list may sound useful, but in practice it will be
a great hinderance to taxonomy.

Cliff Wetmore
Univ. of Minnesota