standardized taxonomy

Thu Sep 3 03:04:26 CDT 1998

"This is not the time to stabilize names for the convenience of others."

But you must realize that people other than professional systematists
do exist and have their own needs and own problems. Practicing
conservationists, whether working for a national government or an
NGO such as World Wildlife Fund or Nature Conservancy, have a pressing
and immediate need to use some sort of nomenclature and classification
in their efforts. Given the environmental nightmare happening on
this planet at the present moment, they cannot afford to sit and
wait several decades until this "exciting time in taxomomy" is over
and formal biological classification calms down and stabilizes again.
   My concern is that if a discrepancy were to occur between government-
sanctioned "official" classification vs. scientific classification
used only in Academia, the government-sanctioned classification might
be deemed "correct," having preference over scientific classification.
We must fight to make sure this will not happen. But, at the same
time, we need to understand that such conservation efforts are
invaluable and need our assistance and cooperation.

--
Dr. Joseph E. Laferriere
"Computito ergo sum ...  I link therefore I am."