standardized databases

Peter Rauch anamaria at GRINNELL.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Sep 4 09:32:09 CDT 1998

Joe,
Without getting into what cladists believe (about abolishing things),
nor about the truth about what are Pandas, wouldn't it be more
intellectually honest, as well as practical, to just tell those
concerned with the Panda's welfare (the wildlife manager, the curator,
the systematist, the gall bladder salesman, etc) that there is some
serious ambiguity/doubt/question about where the Panda sits, to provide
those end users with the array of (weighted) alternative theories, and
allow the end users to be more cautious and informed about how _they_
decide to use this systematic/taxonomic information to "manage" their
particular Panda? If _they_ then are confused by this ambiguity, they
can ask for further help in interpreting the information. That, I think,
is preferable to the less informative "pick one family and do it now"
approach. If we believe we do not know for sure where the Panda fits,
why would we tell the public (the users) anything else?
Peter