Zip drives, etc.

Richard E. Hill REHill at IX.NETCOM.COM
Wed Sep 30 21:39:50 CDT 1998

Another option is a CD writer.  I got one for $299 US.  Works great.  CD writer
+ 3 gigabytes of memory costs about $304 plus tax (1 recordable CD =650 megs and
costs $0.75-1.50 US).  A zip drive costs about $150 (depending on the model),
one gig of storage costs about $100 plus tax.  So a zip drive and 3 gigs storage
costs about $450.  I'll bet more people have CD readers than zip readers.
Notice that software companies are not shipping programs on zip disks?  You want
to mail out a $10 zip disk or a $1 CD?  CDs are reported to have better archival
qualities than most media.  Your mileage may vary.