angiosperm classification

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 5 07:24:53 CST 1999

     Thank you Joseph for pointing out my error.  Due to a simple
typographically error (and due to my own fatigue, I didn't realize
this), I thought our Chinese colleagues were proposing that Liliopsida
be included in Caryophyllopsida (which in itself had me shaking my
head). I guess I should stop posting things at night.  My apologies to
Jenny for overreacting.
      It has always pleased me that botany seems to have been less
subject to cladistic overzealousness, and when I thought I saw
angiosperms becoming the target of what Ernst Mayr calls
"cladification", I just reacted.  This is a serious problem in zoology,
and more recently in bacteriology, and I am relieved that Jenny's
proposal was not what I thought it was.  I look forward to evaluating
these proposed classes of dicots, but as Joesph has correctly pointed
out, it would best to take our time in such a difficult task as
subdividing the dicots into separate classes.  Anyway, no more
late-night postings from me, especially on subjects I tend to be
sensitive about.  That's my New Year's Resolution.
                     Sincerely, Ken Kinman