angiosperm classification

Wed Jan 6 06:13:45 CST 1999

>       Thank you Joseph for pointing out my error.  Due to a simple
>  typographically error ...

No problem. I had to read the posting in question twice
before catching the typo. The ending -opsida indicates
class. As for me, I never make such erorrs.
   Concerning someone else's suggestion that formal
classification be abolished completely, I would suggest
examining the history of classification to see why it
was invented in the first place. The human brain has
a finite capacity for storing and processing
information. There are millions of species of organisms
on this tiny little planet of ours, making it impossible to
even memorize a list of species never mind learning
anything about them. Dividing them into categories helps
chop the information into manageable pieces. We have
chosen to make the categories reflect as closely as possible
the course of evolution. I can think of no better criterion.
But we should not lose sight of the utilitarian aspects of
classification, i.e. the fact that taxonomy is an essential
tool in helping us understand the natural world.

--
Dr. Joseph E. Laferriere
"Computito ergo sum ...  I link therefore I am."