morphospecies etc.

Peter Rauch anamaria at GRINNELL.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jan 7 09:57:10 CST 1999

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, John Grehan wrote:
> >From my point of view (whatever that might be worth) it doesn't
> matter whether the biodiversity taxa are "morphospecies" or any other kind, so
> long as the diagnostics of that species include precise information
                                  *******
> on place and time (yes this is a species as individual concept).

Are you referring to recording the time/place of observation of the
_specimens_, not the "species"? Or, are you referring to species
descriptions/diagostics (in which case my questions below would be
different, and you could therefore ignore the following...)?

Would you also have deposited in a permanent collection sufficient
"copies" of voucher specimens (from each time/place) to make sure that
the "diagnostic" is sufficient to later confirm/validate the accuracy of
the species determinations? (And, as Doug pointed out, specific
determinations based on published diagnoses/descriptions don't come
often for insects and many other groups of organisms; those organisms
nevertheless have much to contribute to studies trying to understand
diversity, I suppose --Doug's reason for being ready to use
morphospecies.)

ASIDE:
BTW, have the more recent scientific studies of diversity been
consistently good about depositing voucher specimens into reliable
longterm storage (collections)? Do science editors accept for
publication studies which fail to confirm that the studies' specimens
have been adequately vouchered?

Peter