panbiogeography and angiosperm origins

John Grehan jrg13 at PSU.EDU
Sun Jan 3 17:49:50 CST 1999

As predicted, the letter I posted earlier regarding angiosperm origins was
promptly rejected by "Science". The editor of another journal (Plant Systematics
and Geography) did, however, invite an expanded reiview on panbiogeography
and angiosperm origins, and this is now being prepared.

Croizat wrote extensively on the origins of plant morphology (a concept he
referred to as morphogeny) and evolution which was mostly ignored by the
prominent/influential botanical researchers of his day (a similar pattern to the
response of leading biogeographers). Many of this prdictions and interpretations
of plant form conflicted with popular views, and this was still true in 1984
when the last account was written on Croizat's Principia Botanica (a noteable
exception is the work of Sattler and his colleagues on the developmental
origins of certain angiosperm structures).

Some things may have changed since, so I would be very grateful for any
suggestions
regarding major review articles or books (including textbooks) that might be
considered to describe the current most widely accepted views on angiosperm
origins in terms of morphology (e.g. what is understood regarding the nature
of the angiosperm flower and its components, and the nature of the
angiosperm leaf).
Croizat identified a composite origin for many structures that were
commonly accepted
as unitary in botany, so I will be interested to see if this contrast still
exists.

I regreat that I can only consider publications in english language. Any
suggestions will be acknowledged in the article.

Sincerely, John Grehan