Downloadable lists? (was Re: List of fungal names)

Ray Lester R.Lester at NHM.AC.UK
Tue May 4 11:52:01 CDT 1999

Doug Yanega asked:

"So, is there anyone compiling a "metadata" listing of those databases that
contain downloadable species authority lists? Is this sort of thing part of
the "Species 2000" project, for example?"

At The Natural History Museum we are just starting a Project which - inter
alia - should eventually generate such a List (and the Museum is also a
partner in Species 2000).  But to be at all successful, this will certainly
have to be based on an international cooperative effort, as Doug also notes:

"I think it's fair to say that even the most ambitious species cataloguing
projects aren't going to be completed except by global coordination of
effort."

We could not agree more! Perhaps others already have such a List in train
... ?

However, if it turns out not, the Museum would be very happy to act - at
least pro tem - as a gathering point for details of such databases, and to
create Dublin Core records for them which we would make available to the
community at large via our Web Site.

Ray

Dr Ray Lester
Head of Library & Information Services
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
London  SW7 5BD
United Kingdom

0171 938 8971; fax 0171 938 9290

e-mail: r.lester at nhm.ac.uk

'Organising, preserving, and communicating knowledge of the natural world'