Is this correct?

Kipling Will kww4 at CORNELL.EDU
Tue May 4 08:47:05 CDT 1999

The author name is the describer and is associated with the animal not a
direct reference to the publication. Zoological record, whether
electronic or not, lists publications by each of the authors and the
animal's name, so I see no problem in finding the reference.

It is very unlikely that three people actually did the describing of any
single species in any paper. Perhaps minimal descriptions should be
published separately in a short paper directly proceeding a more
expanded work (keys, morphology etc.), with only one or at most two
authors on the first note.

But if it is really important to have a reference to the publication in
a paper you write, then you can simply cite the animal as Xus yus Smith
(Brown, Black & Smith 1999). Then the full citation appears in the
bibliography.

It is difficult enough to deal with a name like (real name)

Pseudanophthalmus shilohensis mayfieldensis Krekeler 1958

Imagine writing this (fake name below) on a label about fifty times or
getting it to fit into the fields in your data base.

Pseudanophthalmus shilohensis mayfieldensis Krekeler, Kryzhanovskij &
Tschitscherine 1958

If you use Krekeler et al. you just reduced the "credit" for describing
to nothing for authors two and three.
k.

ricardo wrote:

> I am little puzzled,
>
> There is a a paper published in Coleopterist Bulletin 1998 vol.52, no.3 p.
> 291 - 296 by Philips, T.K., Steiner, W.E.. and Triplehorn, C.A.
> this paper is a description of one Platydema beetle as:
> Platydema woldai Triplehorn and Philips, new species
>
> How someone will locate description if is the names are swoped... and why
> paper has 3 names?
>
> Keep care and be of good cheer.
>
> Regards
>
> (name) Vratislav Richard Eugene Maria John Baptiste
> (surname) of Bejsak (Bayshark)-Collorado-Mansfeld
>
> http://www.coleoptera.org
> Coleoptera - Australia, Tenebrionidae of World
> (incl. Lagriinae, Alleculinae)
>
> University of Sydney
> The Wentworth Bldg.,
> P.O.Box 62
> NSW 2006
> AUSTRALIA
> phone  :  +61 414 540 465
> e-mail: vratislav at bigfoot.com
>            ricardo at ans.com.au
>            (before Ricardo at compuserve.com
>              and    ricardo at login.cz )
>
> Only after the last tree has been cut down,
> only after the last river has been poisoned,
> only after the last fish has been caught,
> only then will you find that money can not be eaten.'
>         CREE INDIAN PROPHECY.
>
> Incoming  mail is certified Virus Free.

Kipling Will
2144 Comstock Hall