Hennig XVIII

Wed May 12 11:44:35 CDT 1999

At 06:22 PM 05-12-99 +0200, you wrote:

>I do not think this is fair. Does it means I can take somebody's else ideas
>(which, for some reasons -- the times were not ripe for it, the existent
>paradigm did not allow their consideration, etc. -- did not have wide
>distribution or acceptance), re-state them, and become a founder of
>something?
>Of course, I am not saying Hennig took knowingly Rosa's ideas (because I do
>not know).
>
>We have many examples in science pointing instead to grant priority to those
>who actually had the idea first. Consider the "rediscovery" of Mendel's
>results, for instance, at the beginning of this Century, nobody thought to
>make Correns, de Vries and others who arrived to conclusions similar to
>Mendel's as the "fathers" of Mendelism/Genetic.
>I do not see any reasons why Rosa's contributions shouldn't be recognized in
>the same way, *now that we know about them*, for what they are worth.

A parallel case to Rosa/Hennig could be made re: Sokal & Michener (1958) as
the beginnings of the phenetic school.  It would seem they were "scooped"
by Eugeniusz Kuzniewski  [<<Rodzaj Sagittaria L. w swietle "Taxonomii
Wroclawskiej">>,  Acta Soc. Bot. Poloniae 25: 275-284 (1956)],  who in turn
adapted a methodology first worked out by K. Florek et al. in Przegl.
Antropolog. vol. 17 (1952).  I've never seen these Polish works credited in
any discussion of phenetic methods, despite the paper being translated to
English by H. M. Massey in 1968 and distributed by the U.S. Department of
Commerce.

Thomas G. Lammers

Classification, Nomenclature, Phylogeny and Biogeography
of the Campanulaceae, s. lat.

Department of Botany
Field Museum of Natural History
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60605-2496 USA

e-mail:    tlammers at fmnh.org
office:          312-922-9410 ext. 317 (voice-mail)
fax:                312-427-2530

NEW ADDRESS, effective 1 Sep 1999:

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin  54901 USA

"Optimism is a salve for all wounds and while
 it frequently fails to heal the body, it invariably
 soothes the mind."
                                 ---- Oakes Ames