Herpetological wet collection preservatives

Lynn Raw avocet at DBN.LIA.NET
Sat May 22 00:50:42 CDT 1999

I need to replace my current preservatives (ethanol) in the near
future. I cannot replace with ethanol again so I would be interested
in learning about other possible preservatives suitable for preserved
reptiles and amphibians. I am allergic to formalin so that and its
derivatives have to be excluded. Price per litre in the final
dilution would be another important consideration.

I came across a reference to 5% Propylene phenoxytol being used for
herp specimens in a UK collection. Is this a good idea?

Many thanks,

Lynn Raw
PMB, KZN, RSA