Collection numbers

Stinger Stinger at FIU.EDU
Sun May 23 19:34:55 CDT 1999

Wasn't Joe suggesting that the date be included in literature citation WITH the
collection number - not IN it?

        Joe,
            I completely disagree with you statement:

     Besides, one can easily solve that problem by including
     the date in the number. Give the plant the collection
     number "23059924" meaning it is the 24th specimen you
     collected on 23 May 1999. Totally unambiguous, unless you
     are in botany for over 100 years.

        This is about the worst possible use of collection numbers. Why
     have to
     enter 8 digits and create more errors when you only need 4-5. The date
     is on
     the label anyway.
     In our computer databases I can order collections by real collection
     numbers
     and check for entry errors and also get the collector's itinerary.
     This
     won't work with the date included in the number.

     Cliff Wetmore
     Univ. of Minnesota
     --

Gerald "Stinger" Guala, Ph.D.