Herbarium glue

Mike Dallwitz miked at SPIDER.ENTO.CSIRO.AU
Wed May 12 08:20:17 CDT 1999

> From: Clifford Wetmore <Clifford.M.Wetmore-1 at TC.UMN.EDU>
> To: Taxacom

> Years ago we could get liquid herbarium glue to mount vascular plants.
> This was a tan water soluble glue made from horse hooves or fish.

This is known as 'animal hide glue'. An AltaVista search for that phrase
found 80 pages. There were two suppliers in the first 20 pages:
    http://cust.iamerica.net/nativway/glueinst.htm
    http://www.bjorn.net/
The second is a company which seems to specialize in hide glue.

For woodworking, the glue is usually used warm. Additives can keep it liquid
at room temperature - see 'Hide Glue FAQ' at
    http://www.vanedwar.dircon.co.uk/glue.htm

Mike Dallwitz

CSIRO Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Phone: +61 2 6246 4075   Fax: +61 2 6246 4000
Email: md at ento.csiro.au  Internet: biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/