No subject

P. F. Stevens peter.stevens at MOBOT.ORG
Fri May 14 08:26:37 CDT 1999

>Why dispute relationships without applying cladistic techniques. With whom did
>the apomoprhic states of key characteristics originate?  With a historical
>publication record you can even date these events and construct a cladogram on
>a time axis.
>
>Cladist heal thyself.

Actually, I wasn't really disputing anything.  And as to cladistic
techniques and concepts (e.g., strict monophyly), they are perhaps not
appropriate - we are dealing more with population-level phenomena, genes
with incomplete penetrance, perhaps even coalescence theory, if one wants
to use biological analogies.  But there are several trees of "ists" and
"isms" about.

P.