[Re:] Help re. Eucalyptus in South America

Thomas Schlemmermeyer termites at USP.BR
Mon May 24 21:39:22 CDT 1999

South America is large and possibly there have been several introduction with
several objectives, but I guess the most important one has been (and still is)
the production of cellulose....
More modern objectives are of ecological nature (reflorestation  in order to
act as sink against global CO2-output)....
maybe the oldest objective was to dry swampland in order to combat Malaria......
(for this reason they introduced Eucalyptus in Italy...)
No?   Thomas

On (    Tue, 25 May 1999 11:51:51 +1200
), john steel <baron at PLANTA.OTAGO.AC.NZ> wrote:

>Could anyone help with information on how, why and when
>Eucalyptus was introduced to South America?
>        Thanks,
>                John Steel.

Thomas Schlemmermeyer
Museu de Zoologia, Universidade de Sco Paulo
Caixa Postal 42694
CEP 04299-970
Sco Paulo, SP, Brasil

Residjncia: