downloadable lists? (was Re: List of fungal names)

Doug Yanega dyanega at POP.UCR.EDU
Mon May 3 08:44:16 CDT 1999

Mary Barkworth asked:

> We can use our
>existing database program BUT we do not have a good list of fungal names
>and authorities.  Please could somewhat point me to one, preferably one
>that I can download into our nomenclatural database?  The fields that we
>need are name of the species (infraspecies if appropriate) and authorities,
>family, class, and division name.

It strikes me, seeing this, that there are probably many of us who would
benefit from knowing which of the various resources available on-line now
contain species lists - for whatever taxa - that are suitable for
importation into nomenclatural databases; if these resources are open for
such use, and not considered proprietary, they could save many of us from
re-inventing the wheel. As manager of an entomology collection, for
example, the task of developing a species catalog with nearly a million
insect names (and all their synonyms) is not something I'm likely to be
able to complete in my lifetime, unless I can tap into work done by others.
At least for insects, I think it's fair to say that even the most ambitious
species cataloguing projects aren't going to be completed except by global
coordination of effort.
        So, is there anyone compiling a "metadata" listing of those
databases that contain downloadable species authority lists? Is this sort
of thing part of the "Species 2000" project, for example?

Peace,

Doug Yanega       Dept. of Entomology           Entomology Research Museum
phone: (909) 787-4315
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/