Origin of name Schistosoma

Thomas at Thomas at
Fri May 21 09:54:11 CDT 1999

--------------150B8882BABFE22C20698E8D

--------------4501AA72846E48BCA5EA560A

Dear Jorge,

    The genus Schistosoma is attributed to Weinland, 1858. While Barry
O'Connor could well be correct in attributing the name to the presence of a
distinct gynocophoric canal in the male, it is also possible that schisto =
split and soma = body refers to the fact that the schistosomes are among the
few dioecious (separate male and female) digenes. I don't know and I do not
have easy access to Weinland's original publication to discern his thinking
in erecting the genus.

An interesting question. Hope this helps.

Tom Platt
Saint Mary's College

Jorge SantiagoBlay wrote:

> Hi:
>
> The other day, someone asked me about the origin of the name Schistosoma
> (Platyhelminthes: Trematoda). When I think of a Scistosoma, I have a hard
> time imagining what in the outer appearance of the beast is divided or
> easily cleft. Illumination on this welcomed.
>
> Thanks.

--------------4501AA72846E48BCA5EA560A

Dear Jorge,
1858. While Barry O'Connor could well be correct in attributing the name
to the presence of a distinct gynocophoric canal in the male, it is also
possible that schisto = split and soma = body refers to the fact that the
schistosomes are among the few dioecious (separate male and female) digenes.
I don't know and I do not have easy access to Weinland's original publication
to discern his thinking in erecting the genus.
a hard
or

--------------4501AA72846E48BCA5EA560A--

--------------150B8882BABFE22C20698E8D

begin:vcard
n:Platt;Thomas
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Saint Mary's College
version:2.1
email;internet:tplatt at saintmarys.edu
title:Associate Professor
note:"Science is such a wonderful enterprise, one gets so much conjecture from such a small input of fact."  Mark Twain
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Thomas  Platt
end:vcard