Collection numbers

James Cordeiro cordeiro at AMNH.ORG
Mon May 24 09:10:54 CDT 1999

I just caught the end of this, but here's my take:

Although including the date first may clear up some ambiguity, it still
leaves many questions.

For example, in our collection, we have specimens dating back to the
mid-1800's, thus the catalog number 990522001 may refer to a specimen
collected in "1999" OR "1899".

Further, a catalog number of 990507001 may refer to a specimen collected
on "May 7, 1899", "July 5, 1899", "May 7, 1999", or "July 5, 1999".

Lastly, a specimen collected in 1887 (no month or day) and designated
87001 but subsequently found (through literature review, retrieval of lost
information, etc.) to have been collected on December 4 of that year would
require a catalog number change.  Such a change may be simple on a
computer database, somewhat cumbersome on collection data labels, but
extremely messy in catalog hard copy (I must assume all computer records
are backed up on some form of hard copy... books, cards, etc.).

Stick with a sequential numerical cataloging system.

Jay Cordeiro
Dept. of Invertebrates
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street