Collection numbers

Joseph Kirkbride jkirkbri at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Mon May 24 12:14:15 CDT 1999

This is getting confusing with two Joes involved!  I believe that
collection citation should include the date of collection, the names of
all the collectors, primary and secondary, all the collection numbers,
and of course the location data.  I never intended to suggest that the
date be rolled into the collection number, unless the collectors did it
themselves.

In Brasilian collections, I have found as many as three collection
numbers appearing on the same collection.  Each collector or some of the
collectors use their individual numbers.  Then depending on which
institution distributes which duplicate, the same collection can appear
with two or three different numbers.  The other data is then key to
combining these collections together, and sometimes the duplicates will
appear with various combinations of the numbers verifying your conclusions.

Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr.
USDA, Agricultural Research Service
Systematic Botany and Mycology Laboratory
Room 304, Building 011A, BARC-West
Beltsville, Maryland 20705-2350 USA
Voice telephone: 301-504-9447
FAX: 301-504-5810