South African and Namibian Place Names

W.Wuster w.wuster at BANGOR.AC.UK
Mon Dec 4 15:11:23 CST 2000

Phil Bunch wrote:

> I'm working on a project to catalog place names for collections from the
> Republic of South Africa and Namibia.  Many of these represent farms, old mines
> and other obscure sites not found on maps I have seen to date.   A substantial
> number of these appear to be held in human memory and there is a concern that
> they will be lost as time passes.  Lat/longs are desirable but when not
> available verbal descriptions are useful.
>
> Phil Bunch

If you have not used it already, check the GeoNet Names Server, a
comprehensive on-line gazetteer, and a great resource for anyone trying to
trace obscure localities:

http://164.214.2.59/gns/html/index.html

Cheers,

Wolfgang Wuster
--
Dr. Wolfgang W├╝ster  -  Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences    Tel: +44 1248 382301
Bangor LL57  2UW                 E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Wales, UK                        http://sbsweb.bangor.ac.uk/