South African and Namibian Place Names

Neal Evenhuis neale at BISHOPMUSEUM.ORG
Mon Dec 4 08:20:35 CST 2000

At 6:46 AM -0800 12/4/00, Phil Bunch wrote:
>I'm working on a project to catalog place names for collections from the
>Republic of South Africa and Namibia.  Many of these represent
>farms, old mines
>and other obscure sites not found on maps I have seen to date.   A substantial
>number of these appear to be held in human memory and there is a concern that
>they will be lost as time passes.  Lat/longs are desirable but when not
>available verbal descriptions are useful.
>
>Phil Bunch

A good hard copy reference (1976) is:

Leistner, O.A. & J.W. Morris. 1976. Southern African place names.
Annals of the Cape Provincial Museums. 12: 565 pp. [it includes
Namibia]

It gives lat and long in the S. Afr. form of map squares (e.g.,
2117Aa -- which means 21 deg. N 17 deg E-- you'll have to see the
publication to get further details on how to decipher the Aa).

It has proven most useful for obtaining some of the obscure farms,
mines, etc. It is not completely exhaustive, but is the best I've
seen. Online sources such as expedia.com and others usually do not
have farm names.

Cheers,

Neal