South African and Namibian Place Names

Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr. jkirkbri at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Mon Dec 4 13:22:05 CST 2000

For botanical material, this has been done.  The data is stored in a
computer system at the National Herbarium (PRE), Botanical Research
Institute, Pretoria, South Africa.  The name of the system is PRECIS, and
it is described in the following articles:
  Gibbs Russell, G.E. 1985. PRECIS: The National Herbarium's
    computerised information system. S. African J. Sci. 81(2): 62-65.
  Morris, J.W., and H.F. Glen. 1978. PRECIS, the National Herbarium of
    South Africa (PRE) computerized information system. Taxon 27(5/6):
    449-462.
Unfortunately, the data is not accessable over the Internet.  You can
purchase the data from the National Herbarium, but only for your own use.

An extremely good reference for botanical collectors and their itineries
in Southern Africa is:
  Gunn, M. and L.E. Codd. 1981. Botanical exploration of southern
    Africa. Cape Town: A.A. Balkema.

I have used both of the above, and they are very accurate.

Joseph H. Kirkbride, Jr.
USDA, Agricultural Research Service
Systematic Botany and Mycology Laboratory
Room 304, Building 011A, BARC-West
Beltsville, Maryland 20705-2350 USA
Voice telephone: 301-504-9447
FAX: 301-504-5810