Help with Araecerus

Riaan Stals ?? VREHRS at PLANT5.AGRIC.ZA
Thu Dec 7 08:56:46 CST 2000

On 6 Dec 2000,  Ken Kinman wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't fasciculatus Degeer, 1775 the
> designated type species of Araecerus.

The type species of Araecerus, by original designation, is *coffeae*
Fabricius. Confirmed by both Zimmerman (1994) and Alonso-
Zarazaga & Lyal (1999).

>  If so, how did Zimmerman justify continued use of the generic
> name Araecerus for the coffee bean weevil?

This has *never* been in dispute.

> If coffeae and fasciculatus are closely related that should
> present no problem for genus Araecerus.

These animals are the same species. But the names are
problematical.

> However, if I had to deal with this genus, I'd be sure to ascertain
> whether Zimmerman is applying a phylogenetic species concept
> or not, especially if these species are allopatric.

No question of allopatry here. Rather difficult to tell which species
concept Zimmerman adheres to.

>  If so, it could be just a matter of opinion whether the 1982
synonymy of these forms was correct or not.

Agreed. But that is what we have taxonomists for. Especially of
Zimmerman's ilk.

Greetings,

RIAAN STALS

____________ANOTHER___FRESH___MESSAGE___FROM___________

             RIAAN STALS
             VREHRS at PLANT5.AGRIC.ZA

         South African National Collection of Insects
         ARC - Plant  Protection  Research  Institute
         Private Bag X134  Pretoria 0002 South Africa
         Voice +27-12-323-8540    Fax +27-12-325-6998