database-to-web software

Dr. Gerald Stinger Guala stinger at FAIRCHILDGARDEN.ORG
Sat Dec 9 15:51:24 CST 2000

Actually, ASP is the native interface for Microsoft ACCESS in NT. They don't
need to put any language on the server. If they are running Windows NT, they
simply turn on the Access driver that is already there and it will serve ASP
pages. If they are running UNIX or LINUX then you need to translate the
database anyway. That may be why they are looking at JSP, it is Sun's answer
to ASP but like everything from Sun, it is very functional but not for the
novice.  It is absolutely necessary that you find out what operating system
they are running before you pursue this further.

Gerald "Stinger" Guala, Ph.D.
Keeper of the Herbarium
Systematist
Coordinator of the Graduate Program in Tropical Plant Systematics
Fairchild Tropical Garden
11935 Old Cutler Rd.
Miami, FL 33156

http://www.virtualherbarium.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: Taxacom Discussion List [mailto:TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG]On Behalf Of
Amelie H. Scheltema
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2000 2:43 PM
To: TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG
Subject: Re: database-to-web software

Hi, I am not a web person at all, but I have managed to put some information
onto the rather incomplete database for the aplacophoran web page using
Dreamweaver. Check www.whoi.edu/science/B/aplacophora. Good luck.

Amélie H. Scheltema
Department of Biology
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution  MS #34
Woods Hole, MA 02543 USA
ascheltema at whoi.edu
Tel.: Int +1 508-289-2337
FAX: Int +1 508-457-2134