Scorpion Species

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 9 22:39:15 CST 2000

Mark,
      I would say that the two populations are best regarded as two
subspecies of a single biological species.
      As for the slight morphological differences and lack of any
intermediates, I guess the most likely genetic cause would be that a single
gene mutation (in a gene that manifests itself in only two states---such as
present or absent) has for some reason become homozygous recessive in one
population, but has remained a mixture in the other (heterozygous or
homozygous dominant).  Statistically the hybrids would be about 25%
phenotypically recessive and about 75% phenotypically dominant.  I suppose
there may be other possibilities, but it is very late here, and that is the
only probable solution that comes to mind.  Will think about it more
tomorrow after a good night's sleep.
                        Cheers, Ken Kinman