Scorpion Species

W.Wuster w.wuster at BANGOR.AC.UK
Mon Dec 11 08:25:15 CST 2000

Ken Kinman wrote:

> Mark,
>       I would say that the two populations are best regarded as two
> subspecies of a single biological species.
>       As for the slight morphological differences and lack of any
> intermediates, I guess the most likely genetic cause would be that a single
> gene mutation (in a gene that manifests itself in only two states---such as
> present or absent) has for some reason become homozygous recessive in one
> population, but has remained a mixture in the other (heterozygous or
> homozygous dominant).  Statistically the hybrids would be about 25%
> phenotypically recessive and about 75% phenotypically dominant.  I suppose
> there may be other possibilities, but it is very late here, and that is the
> only probable solution that comes to mind.  Will think about it more
> tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

One possibility for the lack of intergrades that comes to mind are
kleptons, as in European green frogs (e.g., Rana esculenta). R. esculenta
is a hybrid of R. lessonae and R. ridibunda, and interbreeds with both, but
the offpring are always R. esculenta in terms of morphology. I can't
remember the exact details of this story (euphemistic interpretation of: I
never knew them in the first place), but it may be worthwhile to chase up
the literature and see if there are any similarities.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

--
Dr. Wolfgang W├╝ster  -  Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences    Tel: +44 1248 382301
Bangor LL57  2UW                 E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Wales, UK                        http://sbsweb.bangor.ac.uk/