How to convert slides of herbarium specimens into good quality web site images?

Diana Horton diana-horton at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Dec 15 12:43:39 CST 2000

I have some excellent quality slides of herbarium specimens, and I would
like to put these up on a web site.  We tried scanning the slides using a
Polaroid Sprint Scan (for slides), and the results were disappointing - the
images were very fuzzy when blown up.  That presumably reflected the fact
that they were scanned at 500 dpi; however, if we used higher resolution to
scan, the images would take *forever* to come up on a web site, so that
wouldn't be practical.  We then tried taking photos of the slides with a
digital camera.  Those images are much sharper than the scans of the
slides, but they're still nothing comparable to the original slides.  The
last thing we've tried is to have prints (of the slides) made and then to
scan the prints.  However, the latter costs $10/print (for good quality
prints), and that becomes pretty pricey on 20+ slides!

Can anyone tell me how to go from a slide image to a web image of
comparable quality (i.e., sharp and clear, even if the viewer increases the
magnification) that can be downloaded in a reasonable time frame?!

Thank you!

Diana Horton
Curator, University of Iowa Herbarium
Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
312 CB
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-1297