How to convert slides of herbarium specimens into good quality web site images?

Una Smith una.smith at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 15 14:32:32 CST 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Diana Horton wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how to go from a slide image to a web image of
>comparable quality (i.e., sharp and clear, even if the viewer increases
>the magnification) that can be downloaded in a reasonable time frame?!

Short answer:  you can't always get what you want.

Long answer:  you *can*, almost, but you need to know what you're doing.
I highly recommend a careful reading of the latest edition of "Real World
PhotoShop", by two guys who really know their stuff.  Even if you never
use Adobe PhotoShop, I consider this book required reading for anyone who
needs to get images online in the highest possible quality with the least
fuss.  Authors David Blatner and Bruce Fraser;  latest edition in print
is "Real World Photoshop 5";  "6" is due to be published in January 2001.
I still use "3", which I bought years ago.  Publisher is Peachpit Press.

        Una Smith               una.smith at yale.edu

        Yale University
        New Haven, CT  06520-8106