How to convert slides of herbarium specimens into goodqualityweb site images?

Peter Rauch peterr at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Dec 17 09:26:55 CST 2000

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Mark Garland wrote:

> I second the notion of Kodak Photo CD's. ...  You can get
> about 100 slides on each Photo CD, each at several different
> resolutions--we sent the highest resolution to the printer
> for a book ....

Kodak has their Photo CD, plus two other formats (a lower
resolution for the highest res (cheaper), and a higher
resolution for the hightest res (more expensive), than Photo
CD's highest res). The Photo CD highest resolution is the
minimum level (and it is very very good) that you want in order
to extract (crop) fine detail from the out of the original
field.

> But now that I think of it, I'm not sure what scanning
> procedure to vote for.

Photo CD _is_ one of the scanning procedures. It is not however
an "at home" method. You have to use a commercial processor. If
you have a collection of slides that you want to scan, select
which ones (looking carefully at them with a handlens to see if
they merit the high-res scanning), clean all the dust off of
them, put them all rightside up facing forward (i.e., all facing
the same way) in a dustless box, and count them out a hundred
per job (box). Take/send them to a Kodak Photo CD processor (ask
first about pricing --this can vary widely, but for a 100 at a
time should be around $1.00/slide. Or, buy that hi-res scanner
and do it all yourself (it does take time to scan at home, so
count that into the cost too --relative to the time it takes to
select/clean/organize the slides in preparation to scan them,
and to the time it takes --once scanned-- to prepare the
digitized images for www page presentation [e.g., cropping,
compressing in a different format, such as jpeg], the cost of
commercial scanning may be seen as proportionately modest).

Peter