Converting Slides to Web Images

Peter Rauch peterr at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Dec 19 12:42:53 CST 2000

Diana, Go to:
Kodak Professional: Search for Photo CD Transfer Services
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/locators/piw/piwSites.shtml
and search for localities that you might be able to drive
to. Contact them about pricing. Finding processors with onsite
equipment might be more useful since you can deal with the
actual people who know what they're doing/can do.

E.g., I found none with in-house equipment, but there are
providers in Des Moines, West Des Moines, and Bettendorf in
Iowa. Maybe some neighboring state has close-by providers
too. You have some not-in-house services in Iowa City. The
database that Kodak uses may not be current.

Here, for example, are the services provided by one of my local
photo labs: http://www.customprocess.com/pcd1.html Note the
"standard" price of $165 for 100 slides, or $0.70/image
($70/100) for images taken directly from your uncut film. It
pays to have your digitizing done at the same time the film is
being developed (i.e., before it is cut/mounted).

The "not for a Kodak CD; some other CD" you refer to below is
important. It's not the "CD-ness" of the digitization which you
need to evaluate, but rather the "brand" and/or fundamental
method of digitizing and compression technology that differs
significantly.

 Peter