Info req.: molecules/morphology

Tue Jun 27 07:46:28 CDT 2000

At 08:40 AM 6/27/00 +0200, B. J. Tindall wrote:

>Is this question just related to zoology, or do you want to diverge into
>other groups? There are quite a few hidden problems in the question, which
>include whether molecular trees are reconstructed/estimated by similarity
>matrix, parsimony, or maximum likelihood methods (all can give rather
>different topologies and of course within any one class of programs each
>algorithm many also give slightly different results).

I'm working with plants, but am thinking in terms of general
principles.  What I am seeking is some discussion of situations,
hypothetical or otherwise, in which molecular based analyses reveal clades
that are difficult(?impossible) to define/diagnose with non-molecular
characters.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh