Future of CDROM, DVD, etc.

Richard Zander rzander at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG
Mon May 1 09:59:05 CDT 2000

And...
PC Magazine recently has discussed compatibility problems with CDs. 2000
Apr. 4 issue, p. 103: ""CD-RW's ... often cannot be read on even fairly
recently manufactured CD drives. The problem lies in the nature of CD-R and
CD-RW disks, which use a dye layer for storing information, rather than the
"pits and flats" method of recording data in factory-produced CDs.... both
CD-Rs and CD-RWs reflect less light than conventionally produced
CDs...making them hard to read. Result: CD-Rs can be read by most CD drives
but not by DVD drives. CD-RWs can be read by most DVD drives but not
universally on CD drives, especially not on those built more than a year
ago."

And... PC Magazine Mar. 21, page 183: "A DVD-RAM drive can read almost any
CD disk, though some drives may have problems with some times of CD-R media.
DVD-RAM disks won't transfer to other types of drives as well as CD-RW;
DVD-RAM drives can't write to CD-R or CD-RW media, and most DVD-ROM drives
can't read DVD-RAM disks."

I think problems with operating systems (my PC can read MAC formatted CDs
using ARDI virtual Macintosh software, but can future systems do the same?)
and degradation of particular media (hard disks, floppies, CDs) mean that we
should (1) expect to transfer publications from media to media as technology
changes, and (2) eschew using operating-system-specific programs to present
data (e.g. type "install" at D: prompt). The absolute minimum expectation
for continued long-term support from libraries for storing and making
readable publications is ASCII, Unicode, HTML 4.0, and .PDF formats, and
many graphics formats. Anything more than this (at the present time) is
wishful thinking.

Example: Flora Online was established in 1987 as an electronic journal for
botanical research. It is archived through the courtesy of U. Kansas :
   gopher://www.keil.ukans.edu/11/newsletters/flora.online
Some of the articles are in plain ASCII text. They should be readable in
1000 years as the journal is (I hope) transferred to different media. Some
of the articles are in Zip format, and some are of programs that require MS
Dos to run; I don't expect any easy of access for these, but at least they
will probably be around to amuse experts in ancient languages.

---------
Richard H. Zander
Curator of Botany
Buffalo Museum of Science