Future of CDROM, DVD, etc.

Jones, Brian Dr bjones at AGRIC.WA.GOV.AU
Tue May 2 08:36:17 CDT 2000

You are still missing the point.  My 78 records have "pits and flats" they
are already 70 years old and still quite sound.  The technology to read them
is rapidly being found only in museums. Without a turntable and stylus they
are useful only for flower pots.

Sure - we can transfer media from one form to another, fact is that there is
so much data (growing exponentially) that it is not possible to do so - look
at the problems in salvaging nitrate film.  Someone asked what I was doing
reading IBM cards in 1993 - It was a box of data literally found in an attic
and overlooked by those responsible for upgrading media.

The "dead sea scrolls" were written on papyrus and stuffed in pots, falling
to bits, they were still accessable and readable 2000 years later.  Should
we be consigning our primary taxonomic data to media which can only be
machine read, given that we have no control over the continued development
of the technology or its ability to read 'old' data?
I can imagine a funding request in the far future to build a machine to read
and decipher a binary encoded pile of crumbling 1990's discs with sombodies
life-work on it.

Brian Jones

Dr Brian Jones
Senior  Fish Pathologist, Fisheries WA
phone +61-8-9368-3649 fax +61-8-9474-1881