milfoils versus yarrows

Ji�� Danihelka danihel at PALAVA.CZ
Wed May 3 11:00:42 CDT 2000

Dear taxacomers,

a short linguistic question of a non-native English user.

There are many common names referring to the genus Achillea, I guess. Among
them, "yarrow" seems to be the most general and widely accepted one,
covering also the section Ptarmica ("sneezewort"). Writing about Achillea
millefolium aggregate, is it possible use the common name "milfoil"? It
seems to me that this name refers exclusively to A. millefolium s. l., but
neither to the section Ptarmica nor to the yellow flowering things from the
eastern Mediterranean. Or is it just American usage? Is there a problem of
confusion with "water-milfoils", Myriophyllum?

Thanks

Jirka D

Jiri Danihelka
Sprava CHKO Palava