[Re:] Thorny questions

Thomas Schlemmermeyer termites at USP.BR
Tue May 16 10:54:39 CDT 2000

I didn't read Croizat's Botanica, but surely there are plants which are not
angiosperms which do have thorn-like structures. I did not understand
thoroughly the preceding thread, but it seemed that it was about the open
formation/forest debate, that is whether plants in open formation would wear
thorns as defense against huge mammalian vegetarian browsers or something like
that.

Again, some of these plants which are not angiosperms and which have very heavy
thorn-like structures occurr in the dense rainforest.

Also, I vaguely remember that, in Germany, I learnt that there are two
different thorn-like defense structures, namely "Dornen" and "Stacheln". I
wonder whether this distinction meets any equivalent in English and what was it
about and if it has anything to do with the preceeding.