Student Bloopers #4

ROBERT H. NEIDLINGER neidlrh at WKU.EDU
Mon May 22 10:39:01 CDT 2000

Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:38:59 -0500
From: "Neidlinger, Robert H" <NEIDLRH at axp1.wku.edu>
To: TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG
Subject: Re: Student Bloopers #4

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Biology Graduates wrote:

>>Anyone else find these student bloopers more disturbing than
>>funny?
>>         James<<
>
> Yes, I do, too. Reading one or two is OK, but the kids are just learning and all
> these posts become tedious after awhile.
>
> Stefan

I agree, but for a completely different reason.  Spend an hour or two in
a Science Methods class in the department of education at your
university.  Or better yet, spend a day in a High School Biology class.
A class taught by teachers who have no reason, or desire, to further
their education.  Most states require teachers to pursue a Master's
degree, so they do, in Education.  So you have teachers with extensive
schooling in the art for teaching a subject, but only a limited knowledge
of that subject.  And they are teaching the students that you are getting
in your classes.

Is this a limited problem, perhaps, but I don't think so.  The problem is
not that students are not at the level that they should be, the problem
is how they got to that point.

And yes, it does seem to be off topic, but in truth, this is a problem
that all of the branches of the sciences face.  Take your work to the
local High Schools.  Get them involved.  Get the teachers involved in
real science.  In the areas that most of the people on this list work,
there is something that High School students could be involved with.

Rant over, I'll go back to lurking again.

Robert Neidlinger
A frustrated new H.S. Biology Teacher
neidlrh at wku.edu